Saturday, July 10, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things…


During the few short weeks that I have spent in Moldova there have been several instances that immediately remind me of home…

The girls’ bathroom (aka squatty potty) at our school smelled like bleach the other morning.  I couldn’t get enough (it’s sad, I know).

Today, thanks to another volunteer who graciously brought me some homemade raspberry jam, I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch.  Delicious.

I recently wore my under armour leggings with a long sweatshirt and boots.  This was my daily attire for three of the four seasons in Ithaca.

My host mom dribbled some of her soup on her blouse this afternoon and it made me think of my biological mother, who sometimes drips salsa on her chest.

After a long rain, I walked by a pasture of 2 heifers and 3 goats and it smelled like Washington County. 

I am typing on my computer and a kitten just walked across my keyboard and is now snuggling into my lap (I miss you Beaver Boy).

My friend Sarah and I are baking Betty’s (Crocker and Getty) Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies while it rains outside.  The whole house smells like a rainy afternoon on Route 4. 

I hope all of these things reminding me of home do not mean I am getting homesick.  I am not sad in anyway… just finding a groove here and relishing the little things that make me feel more at home.  I am a nester and so it’s important for me to not just live in a house but rather to make a house (or place) feel like a home.  The next time I post will probably be after my site visit, as I do not expect to have any Internet until next Thursday (it’s Saturday by the way).

Xoxo




1 comment:

  1. Awe Em! This stuff is great! Home always creates such a good foundation to appreciate and accept new experiences! Love ya! Crystal

    ReplyDelete